Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: 02 May 2003 20:00:52 -0500

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 03:41, Ralf Becker wrote:
> The alpha support for table-creation in ADOdb can also be seen as a
> change to influence their development, as I have to agree with Michael:
> our / his schema_proc classes are far ahead of every other project of
> this kind.

Again, we already have good functionality that just needs enhancement.

> I did most of the maintaining (bug-fixing) of the db-classes and
> schema_proc in the last year and I can only support knecke in this.
>
> The half a dozent postgres bugs I fixed in the last half year, shows /
> supports the benefits of bigger user-base in testing the schema_proc
> classe. Heres a short / not complete list:
> - sequnces had not been droped, when a table got droped (you could not
> remove and re-install apps)
> - index got not renamed when table got renamed
> - you cant do a add-column with no default (and other contrains on
> table-change where not handled correct
> - see the cvs-logs for more ;-)

Cool!  Glad to see it fixed up.

> There is already an existing emulation layer for ADOdb to allow to still
> use the phplib calls. Links are in the wiki on the ADOdb page. There is
> also a performance comparison.

If the emulation layer is a wrapper around ADODB calls, I'd just as soon
leave it be.  You're introducing more overhead.

> The biggest issue I see at the moment with our schema_proc classes
> (beside support for other db's, oracle to name one) is the missing index
> creation. Only primary keys and unique contrains got created, normal
> indices are ignored. This needs to be solved soon and we should use an
> update-script to create the indices for the existing installations too.

I can fix that up.  Foreign key support is desirable too.

Really, moving to XML/XSLT for schema proc has huge rewards, as you only
need to maintain a small schema proc class that executes the transform
and subsequent SQL in PHP.  The rest can be done in XSLT quite well.
I'd much rather write a stylesheet to support a new db (and it's
abstraction class) than code it into PHP.

Mike