Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:05:57 +0000

Dan Kuykendall (address@hidden) wrote:
>I will pull back control of the project.....

Please do!  You have a knack for keeping moral up and things moving along, but
the
last year or so you have been mostly absent and the project has suffered.

As for past contributions, even you have admited that a lot of the code was a
learning experience and you now see that large chunks of it need rewritten for
performance and security.  How exactly is this to be done when the ones that
wrote
it do not participate?

How do i define participate?  commit something.  answer emails on the list other
than political responses.  Follow through with what you say you will do or pass
on
the permissions so someone else can.  What am i talking about?  Savahna issues
that
didn't get resolved that you have access to and no one else.  We had to beg on
the
savahna guys to do it.  acl2.  xslt.  database....when where you planning on
sharing
your discoveries about PEAR?  like it doesn't affect us or anything...

Dan, you have not been leading the project.  Dave has.  One of thing I've always
liked about his project is that has been about making things work, doing the
job.
Now you want to sit in the shadows doing who knows what and won't give those
who are
doing the job the power to do it to the best they can.

As for knowlege of the API, the only parts I haven't been able to decipher with
reasonable effort are Angles MIME magic and the select parts that don't seem
finished or well tested anyway.  As for why things are the way they are, some
of it
is obvious, some of it needs recplaced because the original reasons are no
longer
valid.  And there are many coders here better than me, the code is there,
knowledge
is just a matter of wanting to know.

You want to fork?  I can say for sure your fork will die a silent and lonely
death.
 As the old saying goes: Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.  I will
follow.  I supported you in every task each time you "returned", even if others
didn't get it, or didn't even know who you are.  Now you threaten to pull the
project and make it "lonely" just because you no longer have the time to
effectively
lead?  I will not support you in that.

As for the proposal, I think it may be a little too defined for a project that
is
not huge.  Something needs done though, and if done we eventualy will need a
system
this defined.