RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: jecinc.johnson-engineering.ca
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:54:42 -0400

Hope I don't upset anyone here ..

I think/hope that this will work itself out quickly since it seems that both
sides of the argument have been able to find some points to agree upon

The 'veto' or 'no veto' seems to be a stumbling block right now.  Maybe I
don't understand the significance of some of the other items but they seem
to be of lesser importance

My understanding is that the founding members (or at least one .. do the
others know about this?) are concerned about the potential loss of control
and some of the newer developers who have become the most active developers
are concerned that they maybe don't have enough control and feel they are
chasing disinterested parties for approval

I wonder if this suggestion might be common ground ..

Since a Founding Person status has been suggested, perhaps assigning those
people voting status .. or even multiple votes per person (enough to allow
them to have more than half the total votes) would be an acceptable solution

This could be considered a tip of the hat to the work they have done and
would allow the founding members to overrule changes when they all agree on
the subject.

However, this semi-democratic system would also allow majority rule where
the founding member's opinions aren't strong enough to make a stand or are
inactive for a period of time

I also understand some of the concerns about equal rights voting on issues
that seem specialized but you never know, there might be a db abstraction
decision that dramatically affects the language support people so a complete
list of who gets to vote on what would likely get very, very long, very,
very quickly and there would always be exceptions popping up.

Not that my opinion counts for much here (or with my wife) but in general, I
think that one universal truth is that most people will not take the
time/energy to vote for something that they don't care about (ie doesn't
affect them).  So such a general system would likely work pretty well

Also, at the core of some of this seems to be the occurence of
permission/access to certain resources (ie changing the web site or
whatever) .. perhaps this type of operational/project management type of
issue could be handled by just having more people with access rights (maybe
this problem was solely related to the move to savanah has already been
solved)