Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Reiner Jung
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: 14 May 2003 01:12:06 +0200

Am Die, 2003-05-13 um 23.21 schrieb Dan Kuykendall:
> Reiner Jung wrote:
> > This i can support full. Why need the control over the brand name and
> > the domain name? Take it in the hands from the fsf and all will be ok.
> > The name and the domain are only needed when :
> >  - want make a business with it
> >  - use it as a pressure again others
> >
> > The veto is not needed. When basics are discussed on the list, I'm sure
> > the decision will follow the best technical solution. On the other side
> > I'm sure, when a recommendation come from people with deep technical
> > background the people will agree.
>
> True in part. I think the veto is a way to keep from talking about
> forking when we disagree. As I said, I can possibly let this go, but
> think its better in terms of showing respect to the founding team as
> well as allowing for two founders to cancel eachother out.

I think all have respect again the founding team and what they do in the
past. Which i cant agree that the founders can cancel each other out. On
what aspects this will be do?. Why the founders need the power to do it?

The other point, which you don't answer is. Why you need the full
control over the name?

> Also, veto should only be used as a extreme measure.

What will be a extreme measure? Have you some examples about this.

> > But don't forget. In many projects the programmers make software not for
> > the people which should use it later. They take a look at the
> > "technical" background. Why don't give the translator the chance to
> > vote. Normally the translator/other devs don't vote for the technical
> > detail. The translator is maybe one from this users, which can't handle
> > a function, from which the developers thing all people need it.
>
> On the whole I will agree that only those with something to say will
> vote. This is as it should be, and I suppose this may even be worth
> doing first and seeing if it works. And if its a source of problem later
> than the CT should be open to changing this policy.
>
> > Make FREE software which make the users happy. Not only free on the
> > LABEL, FREE in her mind generally.
>
> This mixes up the "software" from the "project". There is no debate
> about the software being free. Thats just how it is and will be.
> The debate is about how the "project" is run. The project does not need
> to be a completely FREE in order for the software to be.

I think for all people which contribute to the project it will be
important that the project in his decisions will be free to. It will be
a barrier, when the leadership isn't free in his decisions.