Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:13:29 -0700

Alex Borges wrote:

I have to stand beside this opinion. Linux is owned by Linus as well,
but there is an independent consortium that manages the brand.

Basicly correct. The consortium was setup to take the administrative burden from Linus, but it is under a solid license. In the case of phpGW this is not nessesary at this point. If it ever becomes a burden to deal with licensing, I would go with a solution like they setup.

If i ask
for official permission to use the brand from Dan, will I get it
price-free (id be willing to pay handling charges perhaps, but not an
actual fee) ??

I think it is required by law that a fee be charges. The reason is that if a trademark is not protected, then it can become public domain.
The fee would be something nominal, along the lines of $10 or less.

 This is part of the issue, Linus gives permission almost
for free to use the Linux trademark, and he has huge pressure from
public statements he has made that he would go out of his way to make
the Linux TM accesible to all who wish to use it right (to sell linux,
not undermine it or its merits). If i had this kind of security it'd be
easyer for us to get funding to, in turn, asign men to stuff in phpgw.

Yes, this is how I will be setting up phpGW as well. It will be automatic to anyone who is not trying to use the trademark to hurt phpGW.

Dan