Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Account/Address DB proposal

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Account/Address DB proposal
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

I hope we can move towards a shared schema in the future (I think I've
made my wishes to work with dcl clear)

In the meantime, there are a couple of shortfalls with the both the
phpgw and dcl schema that review of the probiz one has brought to light

The major issue is that for a multilocation company, there is currently no
way to track which location an employee works at (the employee just links
to the company, not a specific office of that company)

Also, for a multi-location company, some information will be shared among
all the locations (ie phone, toll-free, main fax line, etc) and some will
be location specific (ie each branch location has a local phone number)

I'm really wondering if we should dump the multi-location addresses
concept for companies only (since people could still have multiple
residences without getting into this issue) and have the user create a new
company record for each location.  It is somewhat un-normallized but it
greatly simplified

Their schema included relationships to track spoken languages of the
people that I don't know how useful it is (it is of no use to me) but
could be considered as a future added feature

They also create a n:n relationship between companies and company
departments and departments and employees that might be worth considering
for future inclusion (again I don't need this but other might .. I would
prefer just a string field .. one per person, if they are linked to a
company)