Re: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar - license

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar - license
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:20:02 +1000

Kai Hofmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> > How is current situation regarding the jscalendar ?

The author stopped responding to my emails on the matter.  I have
discussed it with Richard Stallman from the FSF, the FSF will be raising
the misuse of the LGPL with the developer.

> > Can it be included in the API ?

It technically can be included in the but it can't be included in our
CVS tree.  Only L/GPL (or in some cases GPL compatiable code) can be
include in our cvs tree.  Also linking any GPL code to it is not possible.

> Must it be included in the api?

Basic functionality which is shared by apps must be in api otherwise we
have dependency issues.

> or could we provide something like an wrapper that uses it when it is
> available?

There is now a JS package structure in the API to allow js packages to
be plugged into the api.  I have your jstabs using this on a project for
a client - it is a custom app designed for australian trade unions.  I
will be happy to include the code for it in HEAD when it is done.

> I think we should move away from incuding everything in the api.
> Better reuse as much existing external software as possible and
> provide an
> extra
> installation mechanismus or guideline for it.

What?  I think you are confusing external sources and it incorporation
into the project and including code in the api.

If we have "optional" api component which people must seperately
download, we are making a lot of work for ourselves.  We should decide
what is core functionality and put it in the api.  How it is included
and maintained is a seperate matter.

> Letting the original authors maintain it would be wise.

I have no issue with that, as long as the code is properly licensed and
the original author is reliable.

Cheers

Dave