Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] home and portal

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] home and portal
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:39:00 -0700

Peter Schrammel wrote:
Hi,

as I walked through the phpgw code and tried to understand how it's working I stumbled over home.php and I ask myself why you do so much
special handling with that file?
why don't you (me) write 'home' as a normal app?

Its not a real app per'se. Its just a starting point which can be turned off by way of setting a default app. The reason it is not a seperate app in itself is that it would just be one more thing required to be installed anyways. There is also a great deal of legacy crap in there which needs to be done away with

Pro:
-some sites don't need a portal. they don't even need home (they just offer one app)

Agreed, but for now dont worry about the code in there if your not using it.

-less handling of special files

agreed

-you could have very special portal apps (maintained by others)
 and just have to provide a dummy one (empty page)

for the moment too many apps hook into the home. So its not worth doing as is right now.

-(frames were easier to implement)

super yuck. Frame are generally a bad idea and just too hard to control.

Cons:
-??? (Tell me)

Breaks alot of existing stuff.

OK, you have lots of good points here, and this is part of the reason for some of the work and experiments happening behind the scenes. We may have things working more along the way you would want fairly soon, so just hang in there and keep watching.

Dan