[phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Custom Module for PHPGroupware

From: rjames
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Custom Module for PHPGroupware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:35:21 -0700 (MST)

For some reason, my email provider bounces back any email sent to
mailto:address@hidden -  'Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local
recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)'
-No biggie I can just post here.-see below, if it helps any:

I will have alook at the facilities managment module tomorow when I am at work
and I thank you all for your pointing me in the right direction- it is very
much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Richard James

-------------------------------
The add on is not complicated as I see it…..but it is well out of my
programming abilities.

If you want to look at this project as a searchable ‘inventory system’ or
listing with multiple items per location in categories that are common between
locations to track, it may be easier to picture. Common points of inventory
would be like Location Name, Owner information, Location Address, Latitude of
Location, Longitude of Location, location’s current operational status, what
employee is assigned to the location, what services are assigned to the
location, site notes and updates and a few custom fields such as local network
drive on the company’s network or external website links for research of more
information, etc. \

What I can say is, even if it gave a list of locations-similar to a forum or
real estate page with common specs and pictures-.( like a listing you would see
on a ecommerce site or a ‘Craig’s-list’ type information page for the searched
one listed location for location and a ‘Map” link where you click the link and
a popup appears with the Latitude and Longitude plugged into Google/ Yahoo- or
what ever mapping system- and the location shows up on a map- see link to
Craig’s list below for example). Now I suggested Google maps, only because they
have the interface where you can select a standard map or satellite view or a
hybrid view and then can zoom in or out to see the site or what ever is around
the site. There are a few other specification but they are not important at
this time but would prove handy in the future.

I have gone to many CMS and portal developers over the past 16 months, asking
their developers for a plug in or a custom module for their products- like
e107, Mambo, Website Baker, etc- but even though I see 3-5 requests for similar
projects from different people on each of their forums; I have yet to see 1
stable mod availible. I have even gone as far as post and pay bounties for the
start-up and/ or delivery of such mods –- only to never hear from them again.

Craigs List sample: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/246682955.html

Here is an interesting tool/ web site with a similar function- actual this one
does way more than what is needed- but it indeed, is very impressive.
http://www.chicagocrime.org/

If you want to bounce the idea around with your developers, that is fine and I
would be very appreachiative. I don’t expect miracles. I like the PhpGroupware
solution and think it is a good answer for use as a company ‘Intranet’ solution
that can replace an ‘MS Exchange’ environment via webtool. The only thing I
want to avoid is using one app for groupware and another for this inventory
project because end-users don’t like to use 2 different tools at the same time
that would be better if they worked in tandem and complimented each other. But,
in the end, if I have to have 2 separate apps, so be it. I am sure all wil be
well in the end.

If you do get some one to take on the project, please let me know. Also let me
know how much $ I will be looking for development.
.

Sent from the phpGroupWare forums @ forums.phpGroupWare.org