[phpGroupWare-developers] line lengths

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] line lengths
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:37:43 +0200

Hi all,

I have been playing with PHP CodeSniffer recently ( see
http://pear.php.net/package/PHP_CodeSniffer/ ).  It is a nice tool for
checking compliance with coding standards.

Today we have been discussing using it as part of the ReSight project.
This led me to take a quick look over the phpGW coding standard ( see
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/trunk/phpgwapi/doc/coding_standard.txt
 ). I noticed that we haven't define target and maximum line lengths.  I know
this can turn into a religious debate, but I am hoping it doesn't :)

I think we have 3 options:

* Agree to not have a standard

* Make it maximum 80 characters - cos a console is only characters wide,
but this ignores the fact that one shouldn't be hacking on code on a
console a production box :)

* Make it something reasonable for today's technology and match our
existing development approach.  I favour this option, with 100 as the
target and 120 as the maximum.  My laptop is 1920x1200 so I can handle a
lot more, but it starts to get hard to read at that point.

Please throw your 2 characters in :)

In the coming week or 2, Sigurd will be working on implementing the
standard for phpGW in PHP CodeSniffer.  Once it is done, we will be
putting it back into the tree (probably under
phpgwapi/test/code_sniffer).  Then anyone can run the test over their
code - preferably before checking their code in :) (hint hint)

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall