[Phpgroupware-users] Help understand users and groups

From: Marcelo E. Magallon
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Help understand users and groups
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:16:33 +0200

Hi,

 [ please Cc: address@hidden ]

 I need some help understanding users and groups.  If you point me to
 TFM I'll gladly R it, but until now I haven't found it.

 We'd like to do this:

    * Place talks in the calender

    * Have external conferences that people are attending to in the
      calender.

    * Have vacation days in the calender

    * Have third-party activities in the calendar

 Vacation and conferences are activities that are performed/attended by
 a few people, but are of interest to everyone in our workgroup
 ("Where's Joe this week?" "He's attending a conference in Zurich").
 For external activities is the same.  In the case of local talks, our
 workgroup takes part in the talk (from an internal organizational point
 of view, I'm not talking about PGW's view of it).

 Now, how do I implement this in PGW?  In the case of vacations, if I
 make an entry for myself, I can see it, but other people in my group
 can't.  I tried adding "Read" rights to my group via ACLs and the
 effect is confusing.  If I do that, my username appears in the "User"
 drop-down menu of other people in my group, along with the group name.
 If they select the group name they don't see the activities where only
 I participate (I can understand that).  If they select my name, they
 can see the entries where I participate.

 The confusing part comes when I create a new appointment where the
 group participates.  PGW apparently expands the group "people" to "joe,
 john and mary" instead of using just "people" for the appointment.  If
 later I add a new user to the group, he can't read the appointment, but
 he can see it.

 Can someone provide some hints about how to implement what I want to
 do?

 Thanks,

 Marcelo

 PS: My apologies in advance if my explaination isn't clear enough, I've
 got a cold and I can't think straight.