Re: [Phpgroupware-users] problem getting phpwebhosting to work properly

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] problem getting phpwebhosting to work properly
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:15:27 +0000

>Interesting approach. The only problem is that I cannot create a dns entry for
>this webserver over the internet because it is home-based cable modem and the
>isp won't allow it.

so they won't allow requests by name?  didn't realize that was possible, and I
know
a lot about DNS and the way internet traffic works.  If you use one the dynamic
dns
services like dyndns or dtdns then your ISP has no knowledge or control.  It
does
not require you to run a dns server, it just updates an outside dns server with
your current IP address.  Clients on the 'net do a name lookup and the software
(IE, mozilla, etc) will do a connect by ip, that's just how it works.  Without
some
seriously advanced packet filtering your ISP has no clue if your PC is being
called
by IP or name, and I don't think any major ISP could justfiy the cost of a
server/router cluster powerfull enough to filter several hundred thousand
broadband
connections.