[Phpgroupware-users] Understanding LDAP Authentication

From: Philip Glaser
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Understanding LDAP Authentication
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:49:47 -0500

Hi,

I am setting up an e-smith server (http://www.e-smith.org/) with
phpGroupWare. One of the beauties of e-smith is that all user credentials
are stored in LDAP, so user ids and passwords are the same for the SMB
domain, e-mail accounts, etc., etc. What I'd like to do is set up
phpGroupWare to use the same credentials, so that users would have the same
login for the SMB domain as they do for phpGroupWare.

I think I've understood the limitations of phpGroupWare in this regard, but
I'd like to get confirmation that I haven't missed anything. From having
explored the LDAP configuration page for 0.9.14.001, and the discussion on
the website about LDAP schema
(http://www.phpgroupware.org/cvsdemo/phpgwapi/doc/ldap/README), it appears
to me that in the current state of affairs this will not be possible. That
is, it appears that it is possible for phpGroupWare to use LDAP as a
user-data repository, but that it uses its own phpGroupWare-specific schema.
I'm guessing that in order to use e-smith's userids and accounts I would
need to use PAM, but according to the phpGroupWare configuration tool PAM is
"not ready."

Have I understood the situation correctly?

Thanks.

--Phil

Philip Glaser
Principal and Software Architect