Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Is no one using this under NT/IIS?

From: Seibar Ghoti
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Is no one using this under NT/IIS?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:00:22 -0500

You asked, so I'm answering, I'm not trying to start a flame war, and will ignore anyone who tries to start one... Simply, on a Windows platform, I personally prefer IIS. There are some things that can be done much easier on IIS than Apache. Yes, there are security holes in IIS, there are security holes in Apache. However, any admin worth their salt can prevent almost all of the security issues in IIS by simply following the "Securing IIS" whitepaper (and some common sense) that's been around since the first version of IIS. Redcode? Never affected me: a) I don't install stuff I don't need, like the internet printing service b) No one, save one or two user accounts has write access to any part of the web filesystem. There are exceptions, of course, but not many. This includes the system account, it doesn't have write access where it doesn't need it c) the patch for redcode was released a month before the virus. Aside from that, I still get door-rattlers from machines that are to this day still infected. Security is only as good as the keyboard-to-chair interface of the system.

Now, aside from my personal rant...my purpose is to use phpGroupWare as a segue service to moving a company's infrastructure over to Open Source. Just because you or I say it's (better, faster, more secure, supported, whatever) doesn't mean the suits are going to buy it. When I migrated my company's WAN over to a VPN running on Linux/Freeswan two years ago, I needed to do a proof of concept with a running location before it would even be considered. It didn't matter if it saved the company half a mil, to the suits, it's still a risk they don't want to take. Now, if you can move in SOMETHING, and integrate it with your existing infrastructure seemlessly, then in 6 months or a year say, "Boss, how you likin' that new doohickey". And, he says it's working out great, it becomes easier and easier as you do this to move your systems the way you want to go.

Your idea of putting Apache on another port is great: how do you get the users to it? They can't, generally, even get to a website, how are they going to do it when you tell them "add :81" to the end. You'll blow their minds. No, it needs to be seemless, and it needs to run on the webserver that's already there. And, for companies that already have a huge ASP infrastructure, that's going to be hard enough to move without you telling them they need to do it now for this one thing. ChiliSoftASP is an option, but it's buggy at best, complete crap at worst. It also costs, these segues need to be low-cost.

Okay, I'm done... :)

---
Answering the age-old question: Which is more painful? Going to work, or gouging your eye out with a spoon?
www.workorspoon.com