Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpgroupware download does not work in interne

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpgroupware download does not work in internet explorer
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:35:03 +0000

SI Reasoning (address@hidden) wrote*:

>That is a good question. However, you may be surprised at how many offices use
>older software. Many small offices lack any kind of administrator and the
>system
>remains untouched until something goes wrong. If it is a known ie4 bug and it
>is
>too disruptive or not worth the effort to do a workaround...maybe it should at
>least pop up a message saying that they need to update their web browser.

WOW!!!!

This is EXACTLY the kind of train of thought that make viruses, worms, and
trojans
the big problem they are today!  "Don't  touch anything untill it breaks!"  "Oh
don't worry about that SECURITY WARNING saying IE4 is BADLY BROKEN...".  Wonder
how
many pop-unders have installed spyware and backdoor-trojans on their system?
I'm
serious.

Seriously, do we make sure /everything/ works in Netscape 3.0 too?  Where does
supporting really really old stuff stop?  I don't care if you're on a 14.4 modem
connection, upgrading to anything at all newer than IE4 is totaly worth the
time it
takes to downlaod it.  The benifits are way too numerous and it's VERY easy to
do
thanks to Windows Update.

What's reasonable? IE 5.01 and /maybe/ Netscape 4.7.  Both are very old in my
book
but have most of the bad security bugs fixed.

And no, I wouldn't be suprized to hear that many are still using old browsers,
not
because of lack of administration, but because they don't know it's so easy to
upgrade.  One of our biggest customers still used IE3 until about 3 years ago
when
I redid our extranet and told them the new features would only be available with
version 4+ browsers.  These type of people just need someone, anyone, to tell
them
it's ok to upgrade.