Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Anouncement: eGroupWare fork of phpGroupWare

From: Léonard Wauters
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Anouncement: eGroupWare fork of phpGroupWare
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:19:12 +0200

Selon "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <address@hidden>:

> At 05:10 9/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> > >- our first release will have the Version number 1.0 and will be
> > >released with the the announcement of the fork, probably on a big Linux
> > >Fair in Germany end of October 2003
>
> I wouldn't recommend this, as most people are not likely to believe that
> right off the bat the project is at 1.0 (production stable and
> well-integrated) status. Maybe one or two beta releases would show a more
> conservative attitude that would enhance your credibility.
I do agree with you. Recently initiated to phpgw, I think there is still a
_lot_ of work to do to make phpgroupware ready for a real production
environment, with people that do not deal really well with computers. I know a
lot of portals (phpnuke, postnuke, OpenCMS...) and I think phpgw has the most
interresting architecture for many reasons. I started developping a project
management module, but I stopped when I saw the political fights. Cause I
thought it would delay version 1.0 of phpgw and the changes in the API, so I
could not make changes on my module till a long time. and cause it's annoying.

> As a recent user of phpGroupWare, I have no opinion on the fork. Time will
> tell which project fares better, or whether both lose important
> contributions by splitting the effort; whether there really were deep
> incompatibilities or whether there were ego/personality conflicts.
I think the fork will be a good thing. It will (temporarily) stop political
fights to know which license to apply to each line of each file. Ok, we are
working on a open-source project, but isn't it a loss of time discussing hours
about GPL, LGPL.... ? Of course it has its importance, but I would suggest to
create a dedicated team to discuss about that and let the developpers do their
task.
If the project continues like that, we will have version 1.0 of phpgroupware
ready around year 2025, when my cell phone will tell me with a hot feminine
voice that I'm late to my new appointment.

As soon as things get better, I will continue working on my module. I will
continue following both projects, and choose the most interresting in terms of
functionnality. Because I can't spend time. For me, PhpGw is an important tool
for _work_ in my organisation. I'm ready to develop apps for it, but only if it
grows in functionnalities.

As always, sorry for my poor english. U can correct me if you want ;)
Léo.