Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Problem with Chat

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Problem with Chat
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:16:19 +0100

Brett Shadbolt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.

np

> I agree it is a bad idea having all sessions stored in the same
> directory, unfortunately I am only a client of the hosting company
> and have no control over their practices.

Sure, maybe look for another host :)

> I am using the latest version of phpgw 0.9.16 updated regularly via
> CVS.
> the current directory structure is as follows:
>
> my root directory is /home/<user>
> my webroot is /home/<user>/public_html
> I have phpgroupware installed in /home/<user>/phpgroupware with a
> symlink in the webroot pointing to this.
> I have a tmp directory at /home/<user>/tmp but all session data is
> stored in /tmp by default. When I first installed phpgw I set the
> tmp directory to /home/<user>/tmp but soon found that the session
> data wasn't being stored here and have reset it to /tmp

The location of the session files is controlled by php not phpgw.  You
should set the tmp dir to /home/<user>/tmp, this is used for email
attachments and filemanager uploads, so best keep it out of a shared dir.

> I am completely unfamiliar with .htaccess files but created a
> .htaccess file in my /home/<user>/phpgroupware directory as
> suggested. When I did this this I got an internal server error and
> could no longer access phpgw at all. I edited the existing
> .htaccess file in the webroot and could no longer access anything
> under the webroot.
> The /home/<user>/tmp directory is public writeable so permissions
> is not the problem, any other ideas?

It looks like your host does not allow you to use the php_value
directives in your .htaccess :(  Maybe hassle them about it.  If they
need it explained to them, give them my email address and I will try to
not call them stupid ;)

Cheers

Dave