Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setting up local mail delivery

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setting up local mail delivery
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:56:59 +0000

Just butting in here ...

James Mohr (address@hidden) wrote:
> I manage several datacenters for online brokers, web shops, application
> hosting, etc and we a number of mechanisms that report things via email and
> they all use the local MTA ("local" in email terminology, not the "local
> machine"). All of the applications were written by other companies (HP, Dell,
> etc) and they all call the sendmail binary. (I know as we hade renamed it and
> they barfed on us). Granted, connecting to the SMTP port works regardless.
> Most data centers I know of have port 25 disabled except for the few machines
> that are directly involved in accepting email **from other machines**. Are
> you referring to opening sockets yourself as a de facto or a de jur standard?

Are you referring to sendmail as the local MTA?

It sounds like you are using sendmail as the local MTA to which you refer.
Sendmail is AN MTA.  It can be configured for local use only.

The same sendmail that it sounds like you currently use can also be used as
the phpgw email MTA but "phpgw needs to connect via the smtp port"

> Excuse me. In which of my posts did I mention the word "hard" or what phrases
> did I use to give you the impression that I though it was "hard".  In my very
> first post I said "I don't (yet) want to go through the work of setting up
> either an imap or pop3 server." There was nothing about the difficulty about
> installing it.  Granted, I have probably used more time reply to emails than
> I would have configuring postfix, but that happens sometimes.

The phrase you quote is what gave me the impression that you thought it would
be hard (hard as in time consuming).  However, subsequent posts also pointed
out that pop3 and imap were not required, just smtp.

> My experience says that the "masses" of machines, particularly in a
> professional environment do not have SMTP running.

I acknowledge freely that my experience is limited, but I typically run
sendmail or postfix on my servers and use it to forward system emails to my
main mail server.  They may not accept smtp connections, but they use smtp to
make them (for readers who don't have much experience with email systems, it
is typically the same software, just configuration changes)

At this point I forget what you were originally trying to do.  Was this for
calendar notifications?