[phpGroupWare-users] Re: phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP

From: Emanuel Ziegler
Subject: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:18:23 -0700 (MST)

Wow that were fast and comprehensive replys!

Ok, I'll try to answer both replys in this post. I run php4 since I don't see
the need to change to php5.

1) eMail: I don't really understand the question about the login format so I'll
just guess. It is simply the username without any domain. The settings are:
server type "IMAPS", IMAP server type "Cyrus or Courier", login type
"standard", the domain is set to our institute's domain.

I tried to deactivate the user's settings and indeed the "GeekBar" shows "did
connect: [yes (0)]" the first time. After reloading the page it changes to "did
connect: [no]" so I'm not sure it works or not.

2) Password: I'm looking forward to that patch - but it's not urgent since I
want to evaluate phpGroupWare a little longer before opening it to our users.

3) LDAP: I created a new user, entered that one as root user and it still works
:)

However, the ldaps:// trick doesn't work for me since I don't use SSL but TLS
encryption which runs via ldap protocol (ldaps is deprecated).

4) Groups: I think using the posix groups would be a good idea since the
hierarchy is already set up and I don't want to do that again. In the meantime
I'll live with the "Default" group, I guess. Since file management is has to be
independent, the UIDs and GIDs don't matter.

5) Filemanager: One could solve this problem with a CGI-program that runs as
SUID, but I guess this would introduce huge security holes (what if it is not
accessible from apache2, but from phpgw - is that possible).

Anyway, the filemanager does not work at all (for the user eziegler it insists
on the path /home/eziegler which cannot be created - can I change this
setting?) Maybe I have to select "Do you want to manage home directories?" in
the "If you use LDAP" section to "yes", but I don't want to store the
information in LDAP, I just want it to use the prefix value given below.

Thanks,
    Emanuel
Sent from the phpGroupWare forums @ http://forums.phpGroupWare.org