Re: usage of namespaces

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: usage of namespaces
Date: 05 Jun 2002 23:18:25 +0200

Magnus Norddahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoting Ingo Ruhnke (address@hidden):
>> and maybe a few other where it makes sense. Any objections or comments?
>
> Only one. Why prefix everything with Pingus anyway?
>
> Namespaces were mostly invented for libraries (from what I've understood).
> Idea is that the 'root namespace' is reserved for the application, and each
> library then have their own namespaces, to avoid conflicting symbol names.
>
> Since pingus isnt a libray in itself, I do not personally see the need to
> put it into a specific namespace.

The problem is when a libraries doesn't have its own namespace, so
some of the Pingus stuff can conflict with the library. Hm, but ok
then one could put the library into a namespace instead of the
application. Well, I never created namespaces myself so I don't really
know what I am doing.

--
Advent:     http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/advent/
Feuerkraft: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/feuerkraft/