Linking problems

From: David Philippi
Subject: Linking problems
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:39:02 +0200

I've tried to reorder the traps code and I'm getting linker error with the
following:

trap_data is in src/worldobjdata - worldobjdata.a

trap is in src/worldobjs - worldobjs.a

traps are in src/worldobjs/traps - traps.a

Everything compiles fine but the linker yields varying errors depending on
the order of the .a files.
I didn't find any way to tell the the linker to search in files following
behind what seems to be the cause of the error. I can't order them in the
correct way since trapdata calls methods from the traps which are derived
from trapdata.
I could try to solve this circular usage but since this is ok in itself I'd
rather try to solve the linker problem. I'm not familar with
autoconf/automake/libtool but I expect there's a way to do it. I suppose the
easiest solution would be to just link all the .o together instead of using
.a files for the different directories.
But I don't like the idea of listing all the .o in src/Makefile.am with full
path - is there a better way?

Bye David

PS: I consider the solution to let the linker dictate how I arrange my source
code worst.