Re: Digger's hole lip

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Digger's hole lip
Date: 24 Sep 2002 19:01:02 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the Digger bugs listed on Savannah is that it is hard to do a Pingu
> reverse trick by making a Pingu Dig and then Bridge.  With a little bit of
> mathematical help, I've sorted this out by changing the shape in
> digger_radius.png.

Ok, the new shape works much better and also looks nicer. :)

> (By the way, I've noticed splodges in the middle of the various
> cutters used in Pingus. Is there any reason for this?)

They are there to make Gimp to convert the image correctly, without
them Gimp would flatten them to a two color image which Pingus
couldn't handle or something like that. I don't really remember the
details, but it has something todo with the resutlting color depth.
They don't serve any special purpose beside that.

> With regards to darkening the edges of the hole, what I thought
> would be best would be to change digger_radius_gfx.png so that it
> had variable transparency using GIMP tools. However, GIMP can only
> handle RBG images variable transparency, not the GIMP indexed 8 bit
> images that Pingus can handle.

Transparent borders alone won't help much. First of I don't think that
the visual results wouldn't be very good, since the groundmap would
simply fade into the background (would also cost a bit of CPU speed)
and second we would need special blitters for that, our blitters
(which are Pingus code, not Clanlibs) can't handle more than 1bit
transparency.

I commited your new shape as both gfx and colmap cutter, I think that
is enough for the moment. The border fading will require a bit more
work, would probally be good to prototype a bit in Gimp around to get
a preview of the different possible border-shading types (shade to
transparent, to black, to a darkned version of the ground, etc.)

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927