Re: About Pingus

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: About Pingus
Date: 25 Oct 2002 16:58:26 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday 25 October 2002 13:28, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
>> I'm trying latest Pingus and it seems to work nicely. However I just tried
>> desert2.xml and this level is simply unplayable and I'm not sure it is
>> because
>> of that level or because of Pingus. In that level the pinguins start by
>
> I'd say that's a problem of the level in this case.

Its a problem of the engine, it is nearly impossible to catch fallers
without going into pause mode. This is basically because they fall and
accelerate to fast, so they skip easily ~60 pixels or more in one
frame, so one would have to click at the exact correct frame to catch
them (pingus are only 32 pixel high, so you have just one click),
which is close to impossible.

The level should be beside that perfectly playable.

> It would be a bug if you're not able to change them into floater
> while in pause mode.

Pause mode is a workaround, but most levels should be playable without
using it on each and every apply of an action.

> In fact it's even a listed item in our buglist that you may do too
> much while in pause mode - in this case, change the faller into
> floater. On the other hand, catching all the fallers to turn them
> into floaters isn't something I'd want to do. Maybe the maximal
> falling depth was higher when the level was designed.

No, the level is design so that pingus die if you don't do anything
against it. Just because it is called desert2.xml it doesn't mean that
the solution should be obvious ;)

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927