Re: About the entrance problem

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: About the entrance problem
Date: 28 Oct 2002 10:21:19 +0100

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmmm. May be if the game is slowed down, action application is also
> slowed down. During normal speed, a player can't physically actions
> extremely quickly. So, if the game slowed down, slow down the
> application speed as well.

I think this would feel pretty odd for the player: "Hey, my mouse
doesn't react as expected, something is broken!"

> I have absolutely no idea how this can be done at the moment. And
> don't think it is simple either. Just a very vague thought that went
> into my head...

Slowing the gamespeed down is pretty trivial, slowing the input down
is quite a bit harder and would also cause quite a few usability
problems (would require mouse-trap and Co. since the X11 cursor would
be faster than the in-game mouse-cursor).

Slowing the gamespeed down might be a useable choice, but it has to be
implemented in a way that doesn't make the game feel like a
videoplayer (well, it probally already does a bit to much).

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927