Re: Windows Build Errors

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Windows Build Errors
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:39:56 -0000

> One thing I thought of.  Would it possible to use VC's Project file as the
> base "make" file and then get a Perl/Awk or whatever script to turn it
> into lots of Makefile.am files?  Would this be a bad idea?
>
> The down side is I don't know how stable VC's Project file format is.  It
> could change whenever a v7 comes out.

I have v7 and it has changed completely, however I don't think anyone will
be building anything with v7 for a long time to come, if ever, as it has
17Mb dependancies on the run time, implements a different language (class
_gc myclass declares a garbage collected class - now that's just not C++).

On the up side v7 has an XML based file format - which would make it nice to
implement make files - could even do it with .xsl files.

On the other hand, the Windows project files always lag behind - why not
just generate the project files from a directory listing, and have it
generate Windows project files and Make files.

Ginge