Re: Win 32 GCC Development

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Win 32 GCC Development
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:15:26 +0100

> > The Windows port was not dead, I kept it compiled regularly, but then it
was
> > decided to rely on VC++ 7 features, I had to stop (as I'm only at 6).
> Does it still compile with VC++ 7 only? I thought that I had corrected
> the reaming issues with the help of a patch from someone else. If there
> are errors with VC++ 6 you may post them to the list so that we may try
> to fix them.
Wow, no errors at all, other than...

> The real problem is that I don't know of anyone who managed to get it
> compiling with support for gettext on Windows so a Win32 wouldn't have
> any translations. :-(
I'm English, and don't care too much about translations, so I'm not really
the person to do this work. I realise if they were there it would be better,
but a windows english version is better than no windows version. Attached is
a patch, which I don't expect to get applied, but which shows how easy it is
to get gettext out of the system. If this effect was acheived with some
condition compilation/windows build flag/whatever then you would have a
Windows version again - I can do the work, but the main thing is deciding
where to put the flag, after that its only about 2 lines of code.

With that patch on my system I can run and play the game fine. Minimizing
and restoring again caused a crash - but I kind of expected that.

I am also now on a more reliable internet connection, and should be able to
upload a release version with reasonable ease.

Neil