Re: Graphics contain English texts

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Graphics contain English texts
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:18:37 +0200

Jarno Elonen <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently many graphics files contain English text, which can't be
> translated. The two most visible ones, IMO, are:

>  1) The sign on top of Tutorial Island map screen
>     => could be rendered with the menu font

Could get a bit ugly since the sign isn't straight, but a bit skew. If
I have the choice between an good looking sign in english or an ugly
looking one in native language I'd choose the english one.

>  2) 'Start game' icon in the main menu (it now reads "let's go!")
>     => could be replaced with a language neutral icon,
>        for example: http://elonen.iki.fi/pingus/play_on-2.png

I don't really like mixing game graphic with menu graphic, beside that
the 'lets go' is kind of a tribute to lemmings. Anyway, here it might
be possbile to replace the english text with foreign one, since its
just a pretty standard font, but since the width of different text
would vari widly it would be difficult to get it fit.

After all I don't really think its all worth it and I am not much of a
big fan of 'over-translating' either, since it just makes a
communicating about a game a whole lot different ('Hey, how did you
find tutorial island?' -> 'What? I only played the 'Uebungs Insel'..).

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927