Re: Pingus Readme

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Pingus Readme
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:53:05 +0100

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:52:06AM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > I know, but does it have to be included separately? I tacked it at the
>
> AFAIK yes, but IANAL.

Having read www.gnu.org, it appears that you can't remove the preamble and
post bit (as I did), because thats a copyright violation (it appears that
the GPL is released under quite strict copyright laws - kind of ironic...).
It doesn't say anything about not shoving the license into another file
though, it just says usually on Unix that the file is called COPYING - but
no demanding about it. As far as I understand copyright law, thats ok, but
also IANAL.

> > bottom of the readme where it wouldn't bother anyone. On Windows a file
> > called COPYING is a bit vague, as thats not where anyone would expect to
> > find a license.
> Since we provide an installer, I guess most people will happily ignore
> what's there anyway.
>
> > Notepad can't cope with line feed, it just puts all the text on one line
and

> Sorry, I meant wordpad. I don't use that stuff all to often. :-)

I don't think anyone uses wordpad ever - I couldn't even remember whether I
had it installed or not. Even so, .txt files open in notepad by default, and
it took me a few minutes to figure out how to open a text file in wordpad
(not hard, but not exactly obvious). Because of this it will be necessary to
convert the file first for the Windows build.

Neil