Re: Updated Readme's

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Updated Readme's
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:29:45 +0100

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 08:24:01PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > Now the readme-devel.txt pretty much covers INSTALL.UNIX, so possibly
that
> > could disappear and be replaced with a reference to readme-devel.txt?
>
> I'd rather recommend to take the stuff out of readme-devel.txt. A
developer
> will be able to find the data in INSTALL and while an average user may
very
> well compile Pingus himself and thereby need the information from INSTALL,
> the rest of readme-devel.txt won't be of interest to most.

Maybe moving the UNIX stuff to the top of the developers readme would be
best, so the UNIX installer can see all their stuff first. I'm not sure how
hard it is to compile on UNIX, but on Windows, it takes a lot of time and
effort, to get all the dependancies.  It also takes the kind of skill that
only a programmer would have. After they have got through the pain of
compiling etc. then they are probably the kind of person that would be
useful developing Pingus - and having them directed at other parts of the
developer readme might be beneficial for the project.

Or then again maybe not,

Neil