Re: Updated Readme's

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Updated Readme's
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:53:21 +0200

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 02:29:45PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> best, so the UNIX installer can see all their stuff first. I'm not sure how
> hard it is to compile on UNIX, but on Windows, it takes a lot of time and
> effort, to get all the dependancies.  It also takes the kind of skill that

That's why I gave up on the idea of developing in Windows. It's much much
easier on Linux. In fact I'm using a distribution where *nothing* except
OpenOffice is installed as a binary. Even the basic tools got compiled
locally from binaries on a bootcd and then again with themself.
Assuming ClanLib is installed, an install in Linux consists of:

tar xzf pingus.tar.gz - extract the data
cd pingus
./configure - check system
make
make install

There's not really much skill required, an INSTALL for Linux/Unix needs
mostly to contain information on the dependencies, ClanLib/Hermes and where
to get them.

Bye David