Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:09:01 +0000

Am Fr, den 09.04.2004 schrieb Erik Søe Sørensen um 20:55:
> address@hidden ~ $ cd pingus-cvs/Games/Pingus/
> address@hidden ~/pingus-cvs/Games/Pingus $ LANG=da_DK /usr/local/games/pingus

It's expected that the files are not found when you run the game from
that directory, it's something related to how Pingus/gettext search for
their files.

> Btw, running pingus with LANG=de_DE doesn't work no matter where I run
> it from. I get the message "ERROR: setlocale LC_MESSAGES failed!"

Well, this seems to explain what's wrong.

> This may be because I haven't installed support for German on my system;
> now, which files is it looking for and missing when it reacts that way?

I'm not sure but I think it's something in glibc that needs to be
configured. Why do you want german support with danish working?

> I'll continue being mystified, then.

If you get only parts of the translation visible, it's often helpfull to
run make update-po and make install a few times, did solve the problems
for me most of the time. Right now I don't get it to show me the
translations for --help  for example - don't know why. I expect this bug
to be gone someday without me doing anything (conciously). :-)

Bye David