Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:42:34 +0200

David Philippi wrote:
Am Fr, den 09.04.2004 schrieb Erik Søe Sørensen um 20:55:

address@hidden ~ $ cd pingus-cvs/Games/Pingus/
address@hidden ~/pingus-cvs/Games/Pingus $ LANG=da_DK /usr/local/games/pingus

It's expected that the files are not found when you run the game from
that directory, it's something related to how Pingus/gettext search for
their files.
I expected so, but it just seems obvious to test the game right after 'make install'.

This may be because I haven't installed support for German on my system; now, which files is it looking for and missing when it reacts that way?

I'm not sure but I think it's something in glibc that needs to be
configured. Why do you want german support with danish working?
For testing... and then I'm just curious about how it works.

If you get only parts of the translation visible,
No problem there.

> Right now I don't get it to show me the
translations for --help  for example - don't know why.
I think I can help you there:
When I run "LANG=de_DE pingus --help", I see the English text - but, more interesting, I don't get any "ERROR: setlocale LC_MESSAGES failed!" as I do when I run the game.

So the problem is probably that the gettext system is not initialized.

Right - in src/pingus_main.cxx, in PingusMain::main():
      quick_check_args(argc, argv);
      read_rc_file();
      check_args(argc, argv);

      init_path_finder();

It is in init_path_finder() that the gettext path is set.

/Erik