Re: Compression support

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Compression support
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:34:05 +0200

Am Di, den 13.04.2004 schrieb Erik Søe Sørensen um 15:22:
> Right now the level may only constitute 16% of the installed size, but
> when the planned levels are there this will rise to a significant part
> of the space (50%+).

Well, I hope the levels will reach 80%+ one day - gzipped. ;-)
Once they take a too large percentage even while gzip compressed, we can
still change to bzip2 though.

> I did (and this is my last vacation day :)

Well, I don't have vacation right now and my free time is seriously
pressed. In fact I don't even have the time I'm taking for Pingus right
now. I'm just taking it anyway. :-)

> program could read the output. I don't understand why the libxml
> interface doesn't have a parse-from-FILE* function?).

I do neither but I'd even prefer if it would support parsing gzip/bzip2
compressed files.

> My 40 lines (new file) and a patch attached - C++-code, that is.
> Enjoy - and proof-read, bitte!

Looks like it ought to work and it did in a test. I just changed the
initial buffer size to 64k since nearly no level will fit into 8k
anyway. It's online and the levels will be compressed in svn in a few
minutes.

Bye David