Re: Pingus on a PowerPC

From: Cedric Pradalier
Subject: Re: Pingus on a PowerPC
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:50:00 +0200

According to David Philippi, on Thu, 20 May 2004 21:38:47 +0200,
>Am Do, den 20.05.2004 schrieb Cedric Pradalier um 19:35:
>> I just made Pingus (0.6.5) work nicely on a PowerPC (big endian)
>
>Are you talking about ClanLib 0.6.5 and Pingus 0.6.0?

Sorry for the mess : It's clanlib 0.6.5 and pingus 0.6.0.

>> I can give further details if someone is interested.
>
>I guess a patch for ClanLib 0.6.5 and Pingus 0.6 subversion would be
>nice. *g* I think your patch will apply cleanly to 0.6.1 anyway but you
>should get it from subversion to verify this assumption.

I'll do first the pingus patch. I'm quite confident since blitter.cxx
was the only file which pauses problems, and they are quite simple to
solve. But while clanlib is not ok, pingus will still be greenish on my
ibook.

For ClanLib, I'm looking at it with the debian maintainer.

>Otherwise a port to PowerPC seems like a nice addition.

Actually it is already playable in debian-ppc, only the rendering is not
pretty.

>I'm just not
>sure about your sleep hack - 25*40ms sleep each second leaves not too
>much time for playing... ;-)

25 fps was just a theoretical upper limit, with unlimited computing
power. I guess that half of that if reached, but on a laptop, if the
game release the cpu half of the time you gain battery life.
I don't really care about high fps, but rather on cpu heating and
battery saving.

I just check with a 100ms delay. The game does not become so ugly, but
slow responsiveness make it unplayable.

Actually, the frame-skip argument seems to
be the good solution, but it would be more intuitive with a
--desired-fps, and some reactive loop only waiting for input events
between draw and flip_display call.

If the game is still reactive, I might be satisfied with only 5 fps if
my cpu stay cool and battery up.