Re: Pingus - 105 Playable Levels

From: Gunter Gerhardt
Subject: Re: Pingus - 105 Playable Levels
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:40:31 +0200

Hi,

John August wrote:
> Er, that's a distortion.
>
> I see the level aliens7-phil is still trivial - you don't need to do
> anything. Other levels I've noted (private list) as having problems do
> not seem to have been changed. The major change seems to have been marking
> the levels as "playable", regardless of other considerations.

Yes, and proving they can be solved by providing replayable demos.

> You've made some levels easier which did not need to be :
>
> desert5-tflavel.pingus
>
> <     <bridger count="10"/>
> ---
> >     <bridger count="1"/>
>
> It is possible with one of each pingu type;
> need to time initial bomber to trap top pingus and mine above; jump over
> gap to wall; set climber and parachute; burrow top of pillar with digger;
> build bridge; let pingus through with basher; use blocker above pillar to
> reverse direction.

You are right. I didn't see that. I will change it back.

> hellmouth12-grumbel.pingus
>
> 19,22c19,22
> <     <basher count="10"/>
> <     <bomber count="10"/>
> <     <bridger count="10"/>
> <     <digger count="10"/>
> ---
> >     <basher count="5"/>
> >     <bomber count="5"/>
> >     <bridger count="6"/>
> >     <digger count="7"/>

I haven't changed this level.
You seem to have different levels than those released with 0.6.0.

> hellmouth13-grumbel.pingus

Didn't touch that either.

> ** OK, so perhaps its not clear whether a level is "buggy" or just
> "difficult".  Perhaps there's no readily accessible information on this.

Putting obviously buggy levels into a folder named "playable"
certainly didn't help most people.

> Then there are some minor position changes :

Most of them due to pingus passing the exit without leaving the level.
Perhaps a change in the game engine for 0.6.0?

> There's a change in number :
>
> hellmouth20-grumbel.pingus
> 19c19
> <     <jumper count="200"/>
> ---
> >     <jumper count="100"/>
>
> increased pingus - make easier - I do believe I made it with the original.

Send a demo! I tried, but gave up.

> OK, good to see you've improved a few levels, but you've also made levels
> either easier than they need to be, or changed the number of pingus for
> no apparent reason.

Thank you for reviewing my changes.

I found pingus in June and noticed that most people didn't even know
that there are more than the tutorial levels.
Others seemed to believe the "not playable" messages and stopped trying.
So I tried to put up something helpful.

Looking at my web server logs, there are more than a handful of people
still searching for pingus levels every day :-)

Ciao,
Gunter