Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:58:35 +0200

[Sorry for the late reply.]

Torsdag 30. august 2007 skreiv du:
>On 8/29/07, Karl Ove Hufthammer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 1. At least the version info should be translatable. E.g., in Norwegian,
>
>That would lead to having a text in mixed language, not a good idea.

I don't understand. What I propose is having the entire line translatable,
i.e., no mixed language.

>> 2. The piece is just a reference to the file COPYING, and should IMO be
>> translatable.
>
>I don't trust translators enough to do a good job at that.

I don't see why the translators of Pingus should be any worse than the
translator of other programs and games, and similar text *is* translated in
other programs and games. Note that I do *not* propose translating the GPL
license, just the text refering to the file COYPING in-game.

>> 3. Shouldn't the copyright be to 'The Pingus development team' (which
>> should be translatable, BTW) instead of just 'Ingo Ruhnke'?
>
>Maybe, if any of the other developers complains I'll change it, but on
>the other side there never really was much of a team, just me + always
>changing contributors.

Perhaps 'The Pingus developers', then?

>> It *is* worth fixing. English text in a localised game looks really bad.
>
>Its really a very tiny issue,

It's not a tiny issue for us, the users of the translated game. The
word 'Island' is actually a word in Norwegian, which makes the sign
pretty confusing.

I have a new suggestion, which will solve this problem for all parties:
Just remove the sign. It's a bit strange with a big sign on an island,
anyway. :)

>> How? The actual names of the options are still in English; it is only the
>> descriptions (and words that should be substituted) that change.
>
>I mean remove all translation from output to the console completly, so
>that everything there is english and only the game itself stays
>translated.

Then I understood you correctly. And no, I don't like this solution.

>> Great. This would fix the UTF8 problems in console output too, for all
>> practical purposes.
>
>Not really, since all the people with ISO-8859-X consoles would still
>get broken output, it would just break for different people.

Note the 'for all practical purposes'. As more and more people come to their
senses and switch to UTF-8 (or just install about any distro released the
last few years), this will work fine. And it will work for more and more
people in the future, instead of fewer and fewer (as per the current
solution).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer