Re: [Pingus-Devel] Interface rework

From: Onilton Maciel
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Interface rework
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:28:36 -0400

First of all, really good job. Nice Idea.

> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/4b734776e15058b89643e33aaf77bcc5-menuredesign.png

To say the truth, I didn't like this one very much, not that is ugly, it's just because it takes too much space of the screen and seems a little crowded. but it still the best of his kind (between the bottom ones you showed us). Pingus's current one is nice because it don't take much space from the game, it is not transparent but is small enough that it don't bother or annoy you. Also it separates the pingus actions, player options and information really, really well.

If you take this way (bringing all the options to the bottom) would be nice if you take all the bottom not just the middle of it, like in most strategy games. I don't know why, but it think that maybe it fits better. About the greenboard, it is nice but you need to make it more easy to read, and maybe a little smaller (so you could take less space from the bottom). For me is not that difficult to see which move is which of the drawings, but I am sure it would not be so easy for a new user. I think these won't be the final ones, but just to warn you about this point. I know it will be a lot better than it is in the screenshots since I already saw the greenboard colors and font at the beginning and end of the levels of the game.

> Some alternative interfaces experiments:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/d29a63b264637801693faf23bdb22028-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/027def00be8c40faa796627b4421dc35-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/8868e80a330317ab3c6841f8b88a342e-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/48b47dc107dd3bb9bd520f4d96a85262-menuredesign.png

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/d29a63b264637801693faf23bdb22028-menuredesign.png

It's not difficult to know that I would take this one. I really like the way pingus in game options are right know. The same advices I said before, like the size of of the greenboards, etc.

>Maybe it could also be easy to allow user grab the panel and move it to
>the top border, just like I can grab panel in KDE. (I mean only two
>distinct positions, not free move.)

Some people say the simpler, the better. But I also always like to able to configure and change things, so I wouldn't mind to have options of how the panels would be displayed. Two distinct positions would be nice, but only if is not that difficult to implement.

>As you probably already figured out, there is not necesary to have more
>than three action buttons:
>
>- armageddon button
>- pause and play buttons can alternate in the same place depending
>  on whether the game is paused or not
>- fast forward and one step button can alternate too, fast forward when
> playing and one step when game is paused

I also add that player options would be better together (one near others), by player options I mean armageddon, pause and play and fast foward.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Tomas Blaha <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> I am currently planing on reworking/cleaning up the interface a bit, I
> have something like this in mind:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/4b734776e15058b89643e33aaf77bcc5-menuredesign.png
>
> One problem with this interface is that it will block a part of the
> level. In some levels that can be handled by adding a bit of water at
> the bottom, in others that might not be possible. For normal gameplay
> that isn't an issue, since levels are already designed to not have
> gameplay near the level border, but when a player wants to dig down so
> far he of course shouldn't be stopped. My current solution for this
> would be a way to hide the interface (via little arrows in the
> corner).
>
> Any comments or other suggestions?

Maybe it could also be easy to allow user grab the panel and move it to
the top border, just like I can grab panel in KDE. (I mean only two
distinct positions, not free move.)

Oh and please leave enough space for "released/out/saved", in some
translations it is quite hard to fit.

--

Tomáš Bláha

e-mail:   tomas.blaha at kapsa.cz