plash

Re: [Plash] Using plash to overlay a filesystem

From: John McCabe-Dansted
Subject: Re: [Plash] Using plash to overlay a filesystem
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:17:43 +0800

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Thomas Leonard <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to use Plash to implement an overlay (like Klik). Some questions:
>
> Some programs don't like running with a different user ID. e.g.
>
> (gedit:12710): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown
> user id (2092094)

Since plash replaces libc, it should be possible to replace
getpwuid_r. How serious is this?

<snip>
>(I'm not trying for security here; this is for friendly programs)
> The union mounts feature looks very useful. Is there a way to access
> it from pola-run, or only though the Python API? Is it possible to
> have writes go to the lower level? Some packages will probably want to
> union onto /, but that shouldn't affect writes to /home, etc.

Since you are not trying for security, a simpler solution like
PlasticFS may be sufficient. See the union/viewpath filter section at:
http://plasticfs.sourceforge.net/

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student