playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Which tool to encode web video or audio?

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Which tool to encode web video or audio?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:22:01 -0400

This project is very interesting: http://firefogg.org/

The website running it can optionally communicate a set of encoding options (size and bitrate) to the plugin, which then encodes the video to Theora when users upload it according to these settings.

One especially cool thing is that, with a correctly configured server, Firefogg can upload as it transcodes, saving tons of time.

-Holmes

Jaime Alberto Silva wrote:
With the advent of HTML5 and Firefox 3.5 now supporting the video and audio tags I think it would be nice to have a tool to take a video or audio file and convert it to a ogg file suitable for web transmition.

I mean something with preset values for web forecasting that you can tell people: "Just pass your video or audio thought this tool and then you can put in your web page with a video or audio tag" without having to worry about bit-rates and such.

I think something as simple as that can improve a lot the ogg-vorbis proliferation.

Is it possible? Is something like that already available (multiplatform or at least in GNU/Linux)?

I have used VLC and, like in many other tools, there are a lot of options that many people doesn't know how to tune in order to get a web-usable file. Don't get me wrong, I know many options is a good think to have (otherwise I were not using free software) but if you don't know how to use them it can be intimidating.

Jaime Alberto Silva
Socio / Representante Legal
SG Automatización Ltda.
Pereira \ Risaralda \ Colombia