Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: Re: Which tool to encode web video or audio? (

From: Jeff Shippen
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: Re: Which tool to encode web video or audio? (Jaime Alberto Silva)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:54:28 -0700

Here is my experience from first attempts at transcoding the WMV file to
ogv on Mac OS X.  I am using VLC 1.0.1 for playback.

Application: * Firefogg * (the latest version to date)

I used the three different presets (high quality, low quality, and web).

_Results_ :

In all three results, it looked like the video cycled through all the
frames within the first couple seconds.  The video then displays the
last frame for the remainder of the 2 minute video.

The Audio was fine in all three results.

Application: * VLC 1.0.1 * (latest version to date).

As a previous poster mentioned. VLC has the capability to transcode
files.  In mac, click on File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard.  Choose the
appropriate settings (theora for video, ogg for audio).  My first couple
attempts, using low quality settings, failed.  The product was similar
to that of firefogg product, the audio played fine, but the video cycled
through too quickly.

After failed attempts, I upped the quality for both video and audio, and
then WHALA!  It worked!  NOTE: VLC requires the output file to be in
".ogg" extension.  Once the ogg file is generated, I manually changed
the extension to ".ogv".

The following are the successful BITRATE settings I used:
Theora: 192
Vorbis: 64

These settings were a few steps up from those that did not work, and
chosen somewhat at random.

Jeff Shippen
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.12 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -