playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg suppor

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg support!
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:48:37 -0500

In order to persuade video sharing websites to use Ogg, I guess we
need Safari,iPhone and Android to support Ogg.

Hah, well not necessarily. These sites already encode to a ton of different formats. Youtube still uses the h.263 sorenson spark codec for compatibility with old versions of Flash, right?

The issue is that supporting Ogg costs them money and doesn'tget them anything new.

Really what we need is a new segment of users or a sexy product that doesn't have h.264 and can't install Flash. And in the meantime we need people who don't want to use h.264 or Flash to make as much noise as possible, which might work in and of itself.

It might be a good move to make a page that says something like "Hey Youtube, that's not what we asked for!" and accuse them of only listening to what they wanted to hear.

Would anyone like to work on that?

-Holmes