playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg suppo

From: Amy Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg support!
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:18:16 +1100

>> Notably absent is any mention of Ogg. Google
>> leaving Ogg out of the picture here makes sense, because it would be
>> very easy for them to offer HTML5/h264 videos that play in Chrome and
>> Safari, while still excluding free formats and users of free browsers
>> like Firefox and Icecat.

I'm assuming Gnash support would be just as exclusionary? I'm a Chrome
user (it's a hardware thing -- my desktop is too slow to deal with
Firefox and its memory bugs), and by default it's using Gnash for
YouTube playback.  I'm sure that Google could enforce ogg video and
audio whilst still using the flash interface, fulling supporting Gnash.

The Adobe Flash users wouldn't even know! \o/