plex86-devel

Re: [Plex86-devel] X uses 95-98 cpu after plex86 started ...

From: Michael Schwarz
Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] X uses 95-98 cpu after plex86 started ...
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:06:11 -0500

On Friday 04 October 2002 02:32 am, Samuel Liddicott wrote:

> > Unfortunately, everytime I run plex86 my RH system grinds to a halt:
> > ( Kernel 2.2.5-15 ).
> > Running top gives X at 95-99 % cpu.(!!!)
> >

> You could trun start strace/gdb plex under a "screen" session in your
> xterm, and turn screen logging on.
> It will then be running under a tty with the strace output only LINE
> buffered and written to file by screen.
> Hopefully then you will get all the debug output.
> (You may need "man screen" to help).

I'm not a plex86 developer (although I am a developer), I've just been lurking
on this list for months in hopes of trying plex86 out when it gets a bit more
mature.  I did read your problem and can also suggest using vncserver to run
plex86.  The CPU overutilization might still make yuor machine crawl, but if
it is really messing X up, then here you would only mess up your VNC X
server, leaving your main one alone.  I've used VNC to do "virtual X" for
just this kind of situation many times.  It can be very helpful.

--
Michael Schwarz
http://www.multitool.net