plex86-devel

[Plex86-devel] Re: X uses 95-98 cpu after plex86 started ...

From: Aaron Gaudio
Subject: [Plex86-devel] Re: X uses 95-98 cpu after plex86 started ...
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:42:22 -0400

I'm not subcribed to this list yet (trying... trying...), but I noticed
this in the October archives:

> I'm not a plex86 developer (although I am a developer), I've just been
> lurking
> on this list for months in hopes of trying plex86 out when it gets a bit more
> mature.  I did read your problem and can also suggest using vncserver to run
> plex86.  The CPU overutilization might still make yuor machine crawl, but if
> it is really messing X up, then here you would only mess up your VNC X
> server, leaving your main one alone.  I've used VNC to do "virtual X" for
> just this kind of situation many times.  It can be very helpful.
>
> --
> Michael Schwarz

You can also do the same thing using the Xnest X server, which is basically
an X server in an X-window. In RedHat land, this is provided by the
XFree86-Xnest package.

Simply doing a 'Xnest :1' will start up a nested X server on display 1. You'll
have to manually redirect application windows there (via export DISPLAY=:1 or
something), but this is probably a little more efficient than using VNC.

--

                              Aaron Gaudio
                   prothontar at tarnation.dyndns.org
                    http://prothonotarium.dyndns.org

   "From fullness, aspect. From aspect, being. From being, emptiness."