po4a-dev

[Po4a-dev]Changing the option names? Really?

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: [Po4a-dev]Changing the option names? Really?
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:32:36 +0100

Hello,

I am about changing the option names of all scripts, but I would like to
check first what do you guys think.

Before the questions, the proposal. I plan to use those options in
po4a-gettextize, po4a-updatepo, po4a-translate, and maybe in po4a-normalize:

 -m,--master : original document
 -M,--master-charset
 -t,--trans : translated document [I'm not happy with this one. Looking for
                                   a better name]
 -T,--trans-charset
 -p,--po : po file
 [po charset don't exists since the charset information should be clear]

 -a,--addendum:
 -A,--addendum-charset

 -f,--format : module po4a (formerlly -t)
 -F,--help-format : Lists the available formats

 -o,--option : I guess we will encounter cases where we *must* pass options
               to modules. I don't like this [too error prone], but i'll
               have to.

 -d,--debug
 -v,--verbose
 -V,--version

 [po4a-translate specific]
 -k,--keep:

And now, the question: Are you all happy with those names ? Is this a
problem that the same option is used once for an input file, and in another
program for an output file (like po is for -gettextize and -translate)?

The user will hate me if he calls the wrong binary and if the file get lost
because of this. I mean, if I unify the option names between programs, I've
no way to check and say "hey, I'm the program which erase the po file and
build a new one, not the one doing the contrary", like it is for now since
the command line passed to -gettextize will be rejected by other programs.

Sharing the exact same syntax between program argument (even when [or while]
having a different semantic for them) is an advantage or a problem?

Thanks, Mt.

--
Each language has its purpose, however humble.  Each language expresses the
Yin and Yang of software.  Each language has its place within the Tao.