pspp-dev

Re: Optimisation of statistic calculations

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: Optimisation of statistic calculations
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:03:10 +0000

Two ways attenuate eventual bloat of PSPP are:

1. As you mentioned, cache the common and, most importantly,
sufficient, statistics. Have every statistical procedure cache its
sufficient statistics for later use. After being computed once, the
sufficient statistics can be used by that or other procedures
later. Sufficient statistics are used frequently, so this policy of
caching them could reduce a lot of recomputation. This is especially
beneficial when working with distributions in the exponential family
(these are the commonly run analyses).

2. Use a generic optimization module. GSL provides one that could be
hooked in to PSPP.  Different statistical estimation procedures use
the same backend algorithms (e.g., sorting for nonparametric routines
and Newton-Rhapson for generalized linear models). A single optimizer,
or other backend routines, can eliminate a lot of redundancy.

-Jason