pspp-dev

Re: pspp development

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: pspp development
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:29:11 +0800

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 02:09:11PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > I just took a first glance in the src directory, and
     > I already have a suggestion you might have thought of:
     > Make more subdirectories. PSPP, if it grows to include
     > most of the procedures currently in SPSS, will have
     > hundreds of megabytes of source, so putting each routine
     > in its own directory will make it more readable.

     Yes, this is a good idea.  I actually meant to do this much
     earlier (years ago) but Automake wasn't quite ready for it at the
     time.  I think that we're getting toward time to give it another
     shot.

I agree too.  But first I'd recommend reading the paper
http://www.tip.net.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html which
points out a serious problem which could arise if not considered.
Fortunately, the recent versions of automake address this, but it
means that a different mindset is needed when writing the Makefile.am

     (If there's some reason to introduce "plug-ins" into a program,
     then that's another reason to use shared libraries.)

I'm of the opinion that the reason SPSS does this is so they can
charge $$$ per plugin.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://wwwkeys.pgp.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.