pspp-dev

Re: struct variable definition (in var.h)

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: struct variable definition (in var.h)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:14:41 -0800

> Well #2 is the simpler.
>
> And I notice that get.c actually does this with the void *aux member.
> Just for an experiment I deleted aux from the definition of struct
> variable, and it seems that get.c is the only module which uses it.

Yes, this is true.  I think this is a remnant from a previous
attempt at #2.

> If I understand it correctly however, get.c is different from the
> other situations in so far that it needs this pointer to persist after
> the GET command has returned?  This must be true since the other
> commands use members of a union, so each command will stomp on the
> others' memory.

Yes, that's true.

> So would it be too ugly if we retain the void *aux pointer for use
> only by the GET command?  Let's change its name and type to something
> more specific.

You know, I think that maybe we don't even need a special case
for the GET command.  As written GET does need it to be separate,
but I think I can fix that.

[...]

> So  we would have replaced one union of  7 structs with 2 (or less)
> pointers.  Perhaps not ideal, but at least an improvement.

I think we can do with just one pointer.

I'll take a stab at #2 tonight then.
--
"Now I have to go wash my mind out with soap."
--Derick Siddoway