pspp-dev

Re: steps to translate pspp to other languages

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: steps to translate pspp to other languages
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:56:22 +0800

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 04:30:45PM +0100, GUIDO GARCIA BERNARDO wrote:
     I am interested in the translation of PSPP output to Spanish.
     Could anyone tell me what steps should I take?

     I have seen some files in the "po" directory (en_GB.po ...), so I wonder
     if the only steps to be done are:

     1. add a new entry to the po/LINGUAS file
     2. create a new es_ES.po file with the internationalized messages

     thank you in advance

That's basically all there is to it.  You might like to read

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_chapter/gettext_11.html

and perhaps some of the other chapters of the gettext manual for
further information.

You will probably want to use some kind of tool to help you with the
.po file; you could try Emacs' po-edit mode or you could try the
poedit tool from gnome.

There may be one or two places where PSPP hasn't been properly
internationalised, but I think these are rare.  Ask on this list if
you have problems.

Also, unless you envisage that your translation will be limited to
the kind of Spanish spoken in Spain then es_ES.po is not appropriate.
That is, if you expect that your translation could be understood by
persons in Argentina, Uraguay and the rest of the Spanish speaking
world, then you should name your file "es.po".

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3