pspp-dev

Re: [bug #15820] Can not read sav file

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [bug #15820] Can not read sav file
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:50:59 -0800

Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> writes:

>> Will give an error (or perhaps just a warning) in the default "C"
>> locale, but continue happily if the LC_CTYPE locale has been set to
>> say "de_DE".  Similarly, if I generate output from a system file which
>> was created in the "de_DE" locale, but my current locale is "en_US",
>> then the output routine will generate a warning when it encounters a
>> variable name for which isalpha returns false.
>
> Is that the way that other languages with support for
> internationalization parse variable names?  e.g. how does Java
> work?  I must admit that I have a pretty weak grasp of how this
> sort of thing is supposed to work.

I found out what GCC does.  It assumes input files are in the
locale's character set, or UTF-8 if it there's no locale, and
there's a command line option to override.  Maybe we should do
the same.

Do you think that the "short" variable names in system files
should be all ASCII?

`-finput-charset=CHARSET'
     Set the input character set, used for translation from the
     character set of the input file to the source character set used
     by GCC.  If the locale does not specify, or GCC cannot get this
     information from the locale, the default is UTF-8.  This can be
     overridden by either the locale or this command line option.
     Currently the command line option takes precedence if there's a
     conflict.  CHARSET can be any encoding supported by the system's
     `iconv' library routine.

--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden